Sunday, January 24, 2010

Baby Shower Cupcakes

I have this friend Brie. We have been friends since we were 12. We were the BEST of friends when we were in jr. high and into high school. As high school went on we drifted apart for one reason or another but we always knew that we would have each other's backs when needed. It was unspoken but well known. After high school we went years without talking to each other. I would wonder from time to time how she was doing hoping that she was well. And then came Facebook. After years of not talking to people you can find almost anyone on there. I don't remember who found who and it doesn't really matter. What matters is we found each other. We got together to catch up and even though we were catching up on almost 6 years of events it felt like we had just been apart a little while. After a few meetings of lunches or breakfast she asked me to come over to tell me something. I do not know why but the thought came into my head that OMG she's pregnant. So I went over and that is what she told me. She didn't know what to do or what she wanted. Her head seemed to be spinning but she has always been very smart and she explored all her options knowing some might be right and some never would be. I knew I would support her no matter what her decision was. Well after lots of research and time to think and tears cried she came to the decision that she was going to keep and raise her baby. She then got engaged to her baby's father, found out it's a girl, had a falling out with him (he doesn't deserve her anyway), and is about to give birth to a baby girl in just a few weeks (after 2 on a Thursday Brie :-) ...thanks). So being that she has had a very rough pregnancy, put on bed rest multiple times, it finally came time for her baby shower. She texted me asking me for my address so she could send me an invite. I gave it to her asking if there was anything they needed. And I sincerely meant the offer. I am so glad they took me up on it. I was able to make cupcakes. She needed a lot of them so I knew it would be quite the undertaking. But I was up to the challenge. Besides it's what I love to do. I am so happy with how they turned out too. They are my favorite cupcakes that I have ever made. Now if I remember correctly Brie is allergic to chocolate...either that or she doesn't like it so I knew not chocolate but I thought ok not ONLY chocolate so I did three different flavors so that some could have chocolate if they wanted. I also made the three flavors look different from the top so that if you just walked up and grabbed a cupcake you would know which you were grabbing. I didn't want someone to bring Brie a chocolate cupcake! I also knew that she wasn't the person that would just want a cupcake with a rattle on top or something babyish on it. Yes it was a baby shower but it was also for Brie and since she was getting gifts for the baby, the cupcakes were for Brie!

So here are the cupcakes:


These are the lemon cupcakes (they are really just white cake with a hint of lemon flavor)



These are the Strawberry Cupcakes


And these are the Chocolate Cupcakes


Thank you Brie for letting me do this. I had so much fun making them, fun eating them and the most fun at your shower! Congrats to you and I can't wait to meet Melodie Elise Ard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background