On Thursday we made flourless chocolate cake, apricot gelee, chocolate ganache, and a high ratio yellow cake. We over filled our yellow cake pans so they were very tall and took forever to bake. But they turned out great. Then we took one sheet of flourless chocolate cake and covered it with the ganache, then another layer of cake, then a layer of apricot gelee, then another layer of flourless cake. We wrapped everything and froze the chocolate cake layers and refrigerated the high ratio cakes.
On Friday we took the flourless chocolate cake layers and cut it in half. Then stacked one half on top of another. We then cut that into 3 pieces, where you could see the layers on the side. We made a chocolate gelee and covered the top with the chocolate gelee. We made buttercream frosting then we took the high ratio yellow cake and cut it in half. Filled it with buttercream, and put the top layer back on. Then we crumb coated the cake with the buttercream. The crumb coat is just covering the cake with enough frosting to cover it and make sure there are no loose crumbs that will get into the final frosting. We were running out of time so we took cocoa powder and with parchment circles we made "snowflake" designs by folding and cutting the parchment. Laying it on the cake and then putting cocoa powder over it. Then taking off the parchment. We then put some chocolate circles on the sides. My cake tasted great, but didn't look perfect. But I figured it's a crumb coat that we weren't going to finish and the more I worked on it the unhappier I got with it. So I stopped working. LOL! And like I said we were running out of time.
So week 3 was a success and a lot of fun! Here are some pictures.
This is the flourless chocolate cake layers...when done called a Ruby Torte

Here is my cake...not perfect but it's ok for now!

This is the finished Ruby Torte!

At the end of class Chef Zamora plated some of the Ruby Torte...it's so pretty!!!

The cake was GOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!! I would like to sample that Torte. Can I just crash your class?
ReplyDeleteNever heard of crumb coating before, maybe that's what I need to do when I put frosting on cakes I make cuz the cake part sticks to the frosting then I get crumbs in my frosting & it looks crappy.
ReplyDelete