Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Week 3 Baking

So today was the first day of week 3. So far so good. We were making yeast breads. This week we had 5 new recipes to make. We made soft dinner rolls, black pepper cheddar bread, whole-wheat bread, hamburger and hot dog buns, and a pullman loaf.

I don't have much today say about today because we rocked!!! I worked with the same boys as last week. We work pretty good together, but next week the groups get switched up. We were the only table in the class to get 100% on our breads. Chef Kim said we worked efficiently, clean, and well. She tried the first 4 of the breads. Because the pullman loaf had to go in so late there wasn't time for her to taste it. Also it took FOREVER to bake because someone turned off the oven while there was 3 loaves in there! I guess they didn't look inside first. LAME! Luckily out of the 3 ours was the only one that didn't deflate so we turned the oven back on and continued to bake it. We had to take it out a little early also because class was over and we were the only 4 students left in the kitchen. But since we were so efficient and done before everyone else she also had our table grill up the Italian sausage for the class, for the hot dog buns. We had time for that, to do some extra cleaning for her, and to take a break. I am not sure how we did it. And our stuff came out great. I kinda wish the groups weren't switching.

Chef Kim also graded out journals. We have to type out all the recipes and on the opposite page of the recipe we put a picture of what we made and then we add comments about how we though it went and things like that. She said that I did great and it was perfect and to keep it up. That was a load off my mind because I still really wasn't sure how she wanted it done.

I am still getting to know everyone in the class. I still don't know most everyone's name. I know a few but that is pretty much it. But everyone is really nice and helpful. I can't wait for next week which is enriched yeast doughs.

Here are the things my table made today:

Theses are the soft rolls that I made.
These are the same thing as above but they are shaped in the "double knot"
These are our black pepper cheddar breads


These are our whole-wheat rolls


Here are the hamburger and hot dog buns


And finally here is our totured pullman loaf lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background