Monday, April 20, 2009

Rock Harbor

I know what your thinking? Mallory went to church? Really? But yes I went to church. I haven't been to church in a long time. There are a few reasons for this. The first one is that when I moved when I was nine my old church was too far away. We didn't really know anyone in our new town so we didn't know where to go. When I got to high school I learned about Saddleback Church. My friends loved it and wanted me to go with them. So I went a few times. It just wasn't for me. I kept getting lost and I think it was too big for me. I have nothing against this church and for those of you who go there I think that is great. But like I said it wasn't for me.

Now the other reason that I haven't been to church in a long time is that I work on Sundays. I have always worked on Sundays so I haven't had time to go to church. I have felt like the smaller churches by me are filled with older people or families. I felt really out of place.

A few weeks ago I was talking with a friend at work about church and everything I just wrote above. She mentioned Rock Harbor and that a lot of people we know go there. I knew that a bunch of people that work with me go to this church but I didn't know which ones they were out of the thousands I work with.

Last week at my friend's birthday party she mentioned that she goes to Rock Harbor. I told her I was interesting in attending and she invited me to go with her. So tonight I went to the 9pm service. I really enjoyed it. It was big but nothing like Saddleback Church. It still felt like the church I was used to. There were a lot of people around my age. And I got to sit with my friend Erica and my new friend Josh. My sister also came with me to try it out. She said it was church. Haha. But it was exactly the church I was looking for. Now not only do I get to go to a church I feel more comfortable in, I get the opportunity to spend time with some friends.

I look forward to returning next week and getting to know my new friends better. Thank you Erica and Josh for including my sister and me. I really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Mal:) I do go to Saddleback, and we tell people a lot that if Saddleback doesn't work for you, find something that does. Sounds like you did. So great!

    ReplyDelete

Background